Toulouse is a pioneer city in the space sector. With the experience acquired since the creation of CNES, the city is now taking the lead in the NewSpace sector, with many promising projects.
25%of the European
over 400 companies
of clean-rooms - Design and manufacturing of satellites.
of Oneweb satellites in an Airbus plant
European Capital of Space
Toulouse has decades of experience with:
- Inception of the CNES Centre National des Etudes Spatiales (the formal French Space Agency) since 1968. The CNES is involved in major space missions : Philae (Rosetta), Curiosity (Mars), Thomas Pesquet (ISS)
- Telecommunication sector with ADS and Thalès Alénia Space taking part to Eutelsat.
- Airbus DS Geo (previously named Spot Image) is a leader in Earth Observation since 1982
- The weather forecast skill driven by METEO France that gathers : climate change analysis, research, and the National School in weather-forecasting.
- The oceanography analysis is led by MERCATOR OCEAN and available to every partner through its cloud named Wekeo.
- Geolocation is also an expertise of Toulouse with Galiléo, EGNOS, ESSP, GUIDE-GNSS
NewSpace in Toulouse
Through the development of the spatial industry in Toulouse, many companies are now key-player of the NewSpace market.
Testing means Toulouse
With institutional means whith the French space agency CNES, and the ONERA - the national aerospace laboratoty.
With research centers and laboratories: IRT, CIRIMAT, Laplace, LAAS.
And with caompanies' means: INTESPACE, Airbus DS, Thales Alenia Space, Mecano ID, Soterem...
- 10 000 m2 of clean rooms
- Vibration benches
- TVAC testing means
The global cluster Aerospace Valley based in Toulouse represents the largest European labor pool in aeronautics and space.
The team is dedicated to fostering innovation:
- the Aerospace Valley has funded 475 R&D projects which represent 1.2B€
- the cluster collaborates on European projects : CleanSky, H2020, Horizon Europe
- with 2 weekly events on specific topics
Aerospace Valley has created the cluster NewSpace Factory to gather local industrial talents.
The team is also leading the ESA BIC (Business Acceleration Center) and the Hackaton Act In Space.
Space Apps and Services
Toulouse is the cradle of space application with expertise in the following fields:
- Earth Observation through images or radar for climate change and weather forecast, services for the agriculture sector, companies or industry.
- The Geolocation skills generates various kinds of outputs : beacons tracking with CLS, Internet of Things, GNSS services with Galileo/EGNOS , and graphic representation of all these data.