The health sector
The health sector is doing well in Toulouse!
Initiatives are growing to fight cancer, diabetes, obesity... with strong cross-fertilization with numerous cutting-edge technologies (space, IT...).
Leading sectors creating innovative research for better health
Toulouse a European and global research center
Dermatology, cosmetics, gerontology, cardiology, infectious disease…Toulouse is a global health research center!
- Health is a leading sector for employment in the Occitanie region representing 18% of all employees (140 000 employees + 20000 self-employed)
- 9,000 public and private researchers in the health sector
- 20,000 jobs in the private sector including 10 000 in R&D: more than 200 SMEs and startups work daily with key actors such as Sanofi, Evotec or Pierre Fabre
- Around 190,000 people work every day in the medical and health sector R&D in the Occitanie region
- 4,8 % of GDP is dedicated to R&D (1st region, 4th for medical R&D)
- Toulouse focus:
15,000 students, 2,200 researchers in the health sector, 8 hospitals, 9 clinics, 110 companies gathering 3,500 employees and one major site: the Oncopole.
The Oncopole: a translational campus for the future of health